Friday, December 7, 2012

I'd love to save the world



I'd love to save the world. I really would. If only I had the time and the energy.
Would I love to take in every stray dog and cat and horse that needs help? Sure I would. A part of all us that love animals dies when we hear about a dog or cat that dies in a shelter. We would save them all if we could. But we can't.
Would I love to protect every battered wife, abused child, etc? You bet I would. I would beat every offender senseless with my bare hands if that was feasible. It is not. 7 billion people and counting. One me. The numbers just don't work in my favor.
Would I want to stop all violent crimes so that we could all feel relatively safe anywhere, anytime? Yes, you know I would.
Would I make the politicians balance the budget and make corporations pay their fair share, make the freeloaders work? In a second. But that won't happen either. That takes laws. I don't make laws.

But these things, and countless more, are not problems I created. I would love to help. But I know I can't. As fast as I can solve these problems (which I could not because they would replicate as fast as I got rid of the first ones) the problem makers would just make more of them. It would be like chasing your tail.
The answer lies in making the problem solvers stop, and short of that, removing them from society so they simply can't create these problems anymore. With laws. With common sense. With purpose to stop tolerating those who have been tolerated too long. We have gone way backwards in trying to be nice about this.   


I'd like to build the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees
And snow white turtle doves

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I'd like to hold it in my arms
And keep it company

I'd like to see the world for once
All standing hand in hand
And hear them echo through the hills
For peace throughout the land

 
The be-nice, harmony,  flower child, love everyone all the time theory, simply does not work. People are selfish and will do and get away with anything they can if it serves their own purpose or end goal. Sadly, the only way to solve this is to make them stop, whatever that takes.

If that takes making it illegal to breed animals without a license and a plan to provide for them, then so be it.
If that means some have to suffer because they can't look after themselves or compete, then so be it. Balance the budget.
If corporations don't want to pay their fair share, then too bad. Just take it from them and if they want to go elsewhere, let them. If someone has a need, someone will always make it. That is how life works.
The problem is, and has always been (in my opinion) that we want to please everyone and let them have their way. That is simply not a recipe for solving problems. We need a Winston Wolf type, who comes in, figures out the solution, and then just gets you to do it.





"I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do and if self preservation is an instinct you possess you better do it and do it fucking quick. I'm here to help, if my helps not appreciated, lotsa luck gentleman. If I'm curt with you its because time is a factor .. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this, so pretty please with sugar on top, clean the fucking car."

-from Pulp Fiction, Winston Wolf, Jimmie situation scene





1 comment:

Sandra Tyler said...

You're young. Don't be so sure you can't "help." And I'm getting older which is no excuse either. We all have to at least be aware. And in that awareness we can find ways to make a difference. Sounds corny, but I hope it's true.

About Me

Daily profile about a specific artist,their life, their work and their impact